Friday, March 30, 2012

Problems installing SSRS on web server

Hi gang -
I've just recently begun playing around with SQL Server Reporting
Services (SSRS), and I was blown away by it. I had no problem
installing it to my development machine (XP Pro, IIS 6, SQL Server 2000
Dev Ed), but I'm having a lot of trouble setting it up in the
production environment.
I am incredibly frustrated by the documentation on this, and from what
I've seen, no one else has had this problem.
When I'm attempting to install to the first WEB SERVER(IIS 5.0), I get
a warning message during the install that I don't have the Visual
Studio IDE installed (which shouldn't be a problem--I mean, hey, it's a
server, right?). Fine.
The next page or so is the list of which components you want to
install--and Tada, NO SERVER COMPONENTS are in the list. The first time
this happened, I shrugged, and went through the rest of the set up
process. I didn't recieve any of the other setup pages (virtual
directories, SQL Server connection info, etc). It ended up installing a
handful of other dlls (everything under the client components branch
was available for install).
Stumped? I am.
Here's the last little bit of info: I'm attempting to install this
software over a terminal connection. The servers are co-located, and I
was hopeing to install this without taking the neccessary road trip. I
doubt this is the problem, but hey, you never know.
If anyone else has experienced this problem and has a resolution,
please, please let me know.
Thanks much,
Mark S. Milley, MCADI have found a post that had a similar problem until they upgrade to
SP4 on the web server. I'm going to see if that corrects the problem.
In addition, there is no Default Web Site on the server, however, my
symptoms so far are different than what others have experienced. I'll
keep you posted...|||Ignore warning about VS, that is only for development tools, not production.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Mark Milley - BinarySwitch" <mark.milley@.binaryswitch.com> wrote in message
news:1126879087.836704.12350@.z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Hi gang -
> I've just recently begun playing around with SQL Server Reporting
> Services (SSRS), and I was blown away by it. I had no problem
> installing it to my development machine (XP Pro, IIS 6, SQL Server 2000
> Dev Ed), but I'm having a lot of trouble setting it up in the
> production environment.
> I am incredibly frustrated by the documentation on this, and from what
> I've seen, no one else has had this problem.
>
> When I'm attempting to install to the first WEB SERVER(IIS 5.0), I get
> a warning message during the install that I don't have the Visual
> Studio IDE installed (which shouldn't be a problem--I mean, hey, it's a
> server, right?). Fine.
> The next page or so is the list of which components you want to
> install--and Tada, NO SERVER COMPONENTS are in the list. The first time
> this happened, I shrugged, and went through the rest of the set up
> process. I didn't recieve any of the other setup pages (virtual
> directories, SQL Server connection info, etc). It ended up installing a
> handful of other dlls (everything under the client components branch
> was available for install).
> Stumped? I am.
> Here's the last little bit of info: I'm attempting to install this
> software over a terminal connection. The servers are co-located, and I
> was hopeing to install this without taking the neccessary road trip. I
> doubt this is the problem, but hey, you never know.
> If anyone else has experienced this problem and has a resolution,
> please, please let me know.
> Thanks much,
> Mark S. Milley, MCAD
>

No comments:

Post a Comment