Friday, March 30, 2012

Problems installing SQL Server 2005

I am trying to upgrade my computer from Visual Studiio 2005 Apr CTP and SQL
Server 2005 Apr CTP to the "released" versions. Unfortunately, I made the
mistake of uninstalling the Visual Studio CTP "first". After uninstalling it,
I was able to complete the installation of the "released" version of Visual
Studio. During the install, I did receive a few error messages about SQL
Server but proceeded with the install. VS completed its installation and
appears to OK.
However, whe I treid to continue with the SQL Server 2005 installation, my
real problems started. First, I had to "uninstall" the CTP components. I
started with "Add/Remove Programs" but the only SQL CTP components that were
listed would NOT uninstall. In fact, trying to uninstall them just resulted
in their entries disappearing from the "Add/Remove Programs" list. There is
nothing left in that list related to the VS or SQL CTP programs.
I was then able to install the SQL 2005 "native client" successfully but
cannot install SQL 2005 itself. I receive an error that "beta" compoents were
detected and must be removed before installing SQL 2005. I cannot uninstall
them through "Add/Remove Programs" so it looks like they'll have to be
uninstalled manually, assuming this is doable, of course. I have no idea how
to accomplish this.
Any help with removing the SQL Server 2005 Apr CTP components and/or
proceeding with the SQL 2005 installation would be "greatly" appreciated.
Thank you.
--
Denis W. RepkeTry running this MS uninstall utility...should do the trick for you.
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=47598|||Gregg,
Thanks for the quick reply. However...
Doesn't this program just uninstall the Visual Studio components? If so,
that's not my problem.
I have already uninstalled all of the Visual Studio CTP components and
completed installation of the Visual Studio 2005 "released" version. My
problem is removing the SQL Server 2005 CTP components so that I can install
the "released" version of SQL Server 2005. I cannot do this using "Add/Remove
Programs".
--
Denis W. Repke
"Gregg Walker" wrote:
> Try running this MS uninstall utility...should do the trick for you.
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=47598
>
>|||Denis,
Given what you have done I think you need to go back a step in order
to have a chance of going forward successfully.
I suggest you do the following:
1. Uninstall the Visual Studio 2005 RTM (hopefully you can uninstall
it fairly straightforwardly)
2. If you still have the .NET 2.0 Framework for April CTP (2.0.50215)
you could re-install it and try to uninstall April CTP components
using Add/Remove Programs.
3. Use msicuu2.exe to try to clean up any residual April CTP stuff.
See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301 for
further information. It's wise to back up important files.
4. Assuming that Steps 2 and 3 get rid of all the April CTP stuff,
then install SQL Server 2005 RTM (it should be installed before Visual
Studio). This is the moment of truth - if SQL Server RTM installs
cleanly you should be in good shape to go on to Step 5.
5. Install Visual Studio 2005 RTM again.
Good luck.
Andrew Watt
MVP - InfoPath
On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 11:49:03 -0800, "Denis Repke"
<DenisRepke@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>I am trying to upgrade my computer from Visual Studiio 2005 Apr CTP and SQL
>Server 2005 Apr CTP to the "released" versions. Unfortunately, I made the
>mistake of uninstalling the Visual Studio CTP "first". After uninstalling it,
>I was able to complete the installation of the "released" version of Visual
>Studio. During the install, I did receive a few error messages about SQL
>Server but proceeded with the install. VS completed its installation and
>appears to OK.
>However, whe I treid to continue with the SQL Server 2005 installation, my
>real problems started. First, I had to "uninstall" the CTP components. I
>started with "Add/Remove Programs" but the only SQL CTP components that were
>listed would NOT uninstall. In fact, trying to uninstall them just resulted
>in their entries disappearing from the "Add/Remove Programs" list. There is
>nothing left in that list related to the VS or SQL CTP programs.
>I was then able to install the SQL 2005 "native client" successfully but
>cannot install SQL 2005 itself. I receive an error that "beta" compoents were
>detected and must be removed before installing SQL 2005. I cannot uninstall
>them through "Add/Remove Programs" so it looks like they'll have to be
>uninstalled manually, assuming this is doable, of course. I have no idea how
>to accomplish this.
>Any help with removing the SQL Server 2005 Apr CTP components and/or
>proceeding with the SQL 2005 installation would be "greatly" appreciated.
>Thank you.|||Andrew,
I guess I'll have to try your suggestions. Nothing else is working. I did
also try running the "build unistall" program from the Sept CTP. That did NOT
work. Thanks for the help.
--
Denis W. Repke
"Andrew Watt [MVP - InfoPath]" wrote:
> Denis,
> Given what you have done I think you need to go back a step in order
> to have a chance of going forward successfully.
> I suggest you do the following:
> 1. Uninstall the Visual Studio 2005 RTM (hopefully you can uninstall
> it fairly straightforwardly)
> 2. If you still have the .NET 2.0 Framework for April CTP (2.0.50215)
> you could re-install it and try to uninstall April CTP components
> using Add/Remove Programs.
> 3. Use msicuu2.exe to try to clean up any residual April CTP stuff.
> See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301 for
> further information. It's wise to back up important files.
> 4. Assuming that Steps 2 and 3 get rid of all the April CTP stuff,
> then install SQL Server 2005 RTM (it should be installed before Visual
> Studio). This is the moment of truth - if SQL Server RTM installs
> cleanly you should be in good shape to go on to Step 5.
> 5. Install Visual Studio 2005 RTM again.
> Good luck.
> Andrew Watt
> MVP - InfoPath
> On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 11:49:03 -0800, "Denis Repke"
> <DenisRepke@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >I am trying to upgrade my computer from Visual Studiio 2005 Apr CTP and SQL
> >Server 2005 Apr CTP to the "released" versions. Unfortunately, I made the
> >mistake of uninstalling the Visual Studio CTP "first". After uninstalling it,
> >I was able to complete the installation of the "released" version of Visual
> >Studio. During the install, I did receive a few error messages about SQL
> >Server but proceeded with the install. VS completed its installation and
> >appears to OK.
> >
> >However, whe I treid to continue with the SQL Server 2005 installation, my
> >real problems started. First, I had to "uninstall" the CTP components. I
> >started with "Add/Remove Programs" but the only SQL CTP components that were
> >listed would NOT uninstall. In fact, trying to uninstall them just resulted
> >in their entries disappearing from the "Add/Remove Programs" list. There is
> >nothing left in that list related to the VS or SQL CTP programs.
> >
> >I was then able to install the SQL 2005 "native client" successfully but
> >cannot install SQL 2005 itself. I receive an error that "beta" compoents were
> >detected and must be removed before installing SQL 2005. I cannot uninstall
> >them through "Add/Remove Programs" so it looks like they'll have to be
> >uninstalled manually, assuming this is doable, of course. I have no idea how
> >to accomplish this.
> >
> >Any help with removing the SQL Server 2005 Apr CTP components and/or
> >proceeding with the SQL 2005 installation would be "greatly" appreciated.
> >Thank you.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment