Friday, March 30, 2012

Problems installing MSDE

Hi

I've recently downloaded and installed MSDE. I used the instructions from the Microsoft website that makes it as an instance of VSDOTNET. When I rebooted after installing it, there was absolutely no service for the SQL Server Service Manager to do anything with - the icon was in my tray with a blank circle, not a green Play or a red Stop symbol. So I uninstalled it, with an aim to reinstalling it as I had done before - without specifying an instance name.

Only trouble is, I'm now trying to reinstall it using:

setup SAPWD=<pword> SecurityMode=SQL

and I'm getting an error message that says "Setup failed to configure the server. Refer to the serveer error logs and setup error logs for more information." when the progress bar is about 2-thirds of the way along. It does this when I try to install as an instance of VSDOTNET again. It just won't play, and I don't know how to get at the logs to see what's up.

I'm running Win2K SP3, with .NET 1.1. Anyone able to help me?

Thanks
JonCheck to see if you are installing SP3a. If so include the DISABLENETPROTOCOLS=0 in the setup command line. This will ensure that you have enabled the network protocols for a new install. You also don't have to create an instance at installation time.sql

No comments:

Post a Comment