Friday, March 30, 2012

Problems installing Reporting Services

Hi Folks,

I want to download Reporting Services for SQL Server Express Edition but I can't find it.

It seems to be in Analysis Services but when I run SQLEXPR_ADV.EXE I don't find any mention of Reporting Services.

I get to the final options choice which offers me 'Database Services' and 'Client Components' but neither of these mentions Reporting Services.

I have installed BI Studio successfully.

I'd be grateful for any and all suggestions.

Thanks a lot.

Barry

You obtain "Reporting Services", you have to download and install SQL Server Express Advanced Services.

See:

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (Advanced/SSMS)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/compare/default.aspx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms365247.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/yelwr9

|||

It doesn't seem you read my question very carefully.

|||

hi Barry,

first verify IIS has been properly installed on the hosting computer ()...

uncheck "Hide advanced configuration options" setting..

in the "Feature selection" dialog task wizard, include "Reporting services"

after the "installation whistles" I got
"Reporting Services
The Reporting Services installation options you specified in Setup determine whether further configuration is required before you can access the report server. If you installed the default configuration, the report server can be used immediately. If you installed just the program files, you must run the Reporting Services Configuration tool to deploy the report server."

and it has been properly installed...

regards

|||

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, you told me what to do but not how to do it so I couldn't follow your advice.

Barry

|||

hi Barry,

Barry333 wrote:

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, you told me what to do but not how to do it so I couldn't follow your advice.

Barry

where did you find problems?

regarding IIS installation, goto control panel->Add or remove programs->Add or remove Windows components... check IIS..

the rest of the "message" indicates that, after running the SQLEXPR_ADV.EXE, you have to uncheck the "hid advanced configuration options" check box and proceed with the installation wizard... the very next wizard step is "Feature selection", where you have to specify to install the Report Server as well...

regards

|||

Hi Andrea,

I appreciate your concern.

Thanks

Barry

|||

hi Barry,

did you solve your isue?

regards

|||

Yes, by referring to the three books I recently bought on SQL Server 2005 Express.

One of the obscure problems was that SSE defaults to preventing remote access, which I needed.

Barry

|||

Hi Andrea,

I have put together a short step-by-step Tutorial for installing Reporting Services to help other people.

Would you like to contribute ?

If so, you can look at my draft :-

http://www.databaseanswers.org/pi_best_practice_display/manual.asp?manual_id=MS-RPTSVCS

You might like to consider how to add this part of your email to me :-

"the rest of the "message" indicates that, after running the SQLEXPR_ADV.EXE, you have to uncheck the "hid advanced configuration options" check box and proceed with the installation wizard... the very next wizard step is "Feature selection", where you have to specify to install the Report Server as well.

Regards

Barry

|||

hi Barry,

Barry333 wrote:

You might like to consider how to add this part of your email to me :-

"the rest of the "message" indicates that, after running the SQLEXPR_ADV.EXE, you have to uncheck the "hid advanced configuration options" check box and proceed with the installation wizard... the very next wizard step is "Feature selection", where you have to specify to install the Report Server as well.

* After running the SQLEXPR_ADV.EXE installer just double-clicking on it and after the pre-requisites installation (when required), please uncheck the "Hide advanced configuration options" check box to enable the full wizard and wizard steps experience.. The very next wizard step is "Feature selection", where you have to specify to install the Report Server as well.

sounds good? but I'm not native english speaker, so you should perhaps reconsider your invitation

regards

No comments:

Post a Comment