Friday, March 30, 2012

Problems installing MSDE

I was in the process of installing the MSDE program when I came upon an error message. Here are the steps I performed to install the MSDE on my computer.

1. Downloaded the program from the Microsoft website.
2. Extracted the files to the "C" directory.
3. Used command prompt to set password and security mode. Rebooted computer after process was completed.
4. To complete the installation, I opened up the setup.exe. However, I got the error message "The instance named specified is invalid" when I opened the program.

Any solutions? (and yes, I already have the Web Matrix and the .Net platorm and am running on Windows 2000 SP4 .)I just finished dealing with this problem myself.

This is what I did and it FINALLY WORKED.

To install the MSDE:

go to the DOS prompt and navigate to C:\sql2ksp3\MSDE (or wherever you unpacked to).

Type this: setup INSTANCENAME="anyname" SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD="somepwd"

If you are like me you were thinking "what is the instance name?!". Well in this setup command you are naming it whatever you want, same with the SAPWD. Previously mine was blank (I know this is bad bad bad).

Anyway, once I ran it this way it installed fine!

Good Luck|||Well this may sound really stupid, but I;m a real newbie...

I've read dozens of setup instruction posts..I've started over and done what was suggested in this post, and everything seems to have gone well. SO FAR

Where do I go from here? Do I have to activate the database somehow? Where is this database anyway, after the I run the command, what was installed and where?

The startkit 'congifuration' still fails everytime. Says I don't have either .NET, MSDE, or IIS. I KNOW I have all of this installed..the only weak link could be the MSDE, because I have no idea what is going on with it.

I've installed SQL Server2000 in the past and got to a point where it configured and coulnd fidn the database..

Anyway, are there STEP BY STEP instructions ANYWHERE on this crap. I'm getting sick of reading random posts, web documentation, program documentation, and trying to compile this in to a process to follow..|||As Cheyjey mentioned, use this parameters:
INSTANCENAME="anyname" SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD="somepwd"

But you said installed it once, i have to mention that one the major reasons for getting the error you said, is that you have already installed MSDE on your system...|||i mean MSDE SP3a|||And Dear Mickey,

it's not as hard as you say, MSDE is a kind of a server, you can use it either as a server and an interface between applications and SQL Server 2000|||Amins2s,

I've read many post regarding the installation of MSDE, and i'm having the same problems.

I'm new at this and have followed instructions, and am using MSDE for school project.

I have installed VS 2002 Enterprise Architect, then uninstalled it to upgrade to VS 2003
I download the MSDE SP3a service pack from MS, and try to install it.

I'm suppose to use SAPWD=itm and SECURITYMODE=SQL, but upon typing this, i get the speciefed instance is invalid.

How am i suppose to recitfy this. How do i know what the instance i have on it is?

Also you said that you might be getting this error because you have already installed it once before. But i don't remember installing it, since the only thing i have installed is the VS2002 and VS2003, plus the Framework.

If you've installed it once before, how can you correct it so that you can properly install it now?

Even when i go to the MS .net/Frameworksdk/samples/setup/ there is no msde file to execute, which i read from other post should be there.

Thank You.

Nick|||Hello dear Nick,

ok... give this solution a try: do not indicate the SECURITYMODE parameter. Just run it from the Start>Run and use the SAPWD=itm parameter only!
And from the point that my FrameworkSDK doesn't work (the CD is corrupted), unfotunately I can't answer the question.
Please try it and tell me if it worked or not.
If it didn't, then send a feedback (Reply) and this time with more details about your system info...

No comments:

Post a Comment