Wednesday, March 28, 2012

problems in installing sql server 2000 standard edition

When i install sql server 2000 i have a message
" Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition Server Component is not supported on this operating system only client components will be available for installation"

Hence I cannot install properly. I installed only the client componets. Thereafter when I went through Enterprise Manager and tried to establish a connection, I failed. It said server does not exist.

What to do now?

I found out that if one has sql server 2000 standard editon the prerequisties are
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 with Service Pack 5 or later, Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 5 or later, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server.

I have windows xp professional version on which i am installing sql server standard edition.
Which of the above exists in my OS. Or which should I download.

Thanks

You can only install SQL Server full editions (such as Standard, Enterprise, etc) on "server" OSes, such as those listed in your original message. On "client" OSes such as XP, you can only install the client tools to connect to other server machines. Thus in order to install SQL 2000, you will need Windows 2000, 2003, or Vista. Same story with SQL 2005.

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

No comments:

Post a Comment