Friday, March 30, 2012

Problems Installing Reporting Services on Win2003

Hello All,
I have been trying to install reporting svcs EE on win2003 server for
the past 4 days. but not successful so far.
This is the set up i have.
win 2003, sql server 2000 EE and reporting svcs EE.
trying to create the RS databases on the local SQL server.
First I tried using the
1. Select NT Authority\SYSTEM account
2. default names for the virtual dirs
3. local sql server instance and a Service Account.
Here it says i need this hot fix QFE 859 but couldnt find it on the MS
site.
Second Attempt
1. Select NT Authority\SYSTEM account
2. default names for the virtual dirs
3. local sql server instance and a SQL login account.
It completes most of the installation but throws up this error saying
cant connect to the databases.
I see the local sql server and see that the RS databases are created
I try to access the http://<server>/Report and ReportManager
I give the user/passwd, its authenticated and in the end I get a
message saying couldnt not connect to the database.
I would like to know if anyone faced similar issues and if there is way
around this.
Thanks
BofoThe NT Authority\SYSTEM account uses the Bultin\Administrator account to
login tin SQL. If this account is missing you would see this error. If the
account it there make sure it has access to the databases. For use, we used a
Domain User account for the install of RS and SQL.
"Win2003InstallIssues" wrote:
> Hello All,
> I have been trying to install reporting svcs EE on win2003 server for
> the past 4 days. but not successful so far.
> This is the set up i have.
> win 2003, sql server 2000 EE and reporting svcs EE.
> trying to create the RS databases on the local SQL server.
> First I tried using the
> 1. Select NT Authority\SYSTEM account
> 2. default names for the virtual dirs
> 3. local sql server instance and a Service Account.
> Here it says i need this hot fix QFE 859 but couldnt find it on the MS
> site.
> Second Attempt
> 1. Select NT Authority\SYSTEM account
> 2. default names for the virtual dirs
> 3. local sql server instance and a SQL login account.
> It completes most of the installation but throws up this error saying
> cant connect to the databases.
> I see the local sql server and see that the RS databases are created
> I try to access the http://<server>/Report and ReportManager
> I give the user/passwd, its authenticated and in the end I get a
> message saying couldnt not connect to the database.
> I would like to know if anyone faced similar issues and if there is way
> around this.
> Thanks
> Bofo
>|||Thanks for the info. That was probably the problem. I used the NT
Authority\NETWORK SERVICE account and used a domain user account for
the ReportServer and seems to do fine.
at the end of the installation a couple of DOS windows pop-up
the first one says
"cannot connect to the database as the name of the server already
exists or a duplicate go to system utilities and change the name....
or something like that.
But the Reports and ReportServer urls seems to do fine.
Is this due to the fact that I have the SQL server and the RS running
from the same physical machine ?
Also would like to know what is the best way to setup the system. Like
having the SQL server on a seperate machine or it doesnt really matter.
Thanks
Bofo|||The RS databases have to be on SQL, whether or not ReportServer and Report
Manager are on the same machine does not matter.That is the good thing about
EE RS. You have flexibility in how you want to deploy your solutions. As an
example, we currently have RS, the RS databases and IIS on one server that
access another SQL Server for the reports. We will be moving to an App Center
load balanced IIS cluster, RS and databases in the middle and then the
external SQL Server for the data. This will give us the flexibility we need.
"Win2003InstallIssues" wrote:
> Thanks for the info. That was probably the problem. I used the NT
> Authority\NETWORK SERVICE account and used a domain user account for
> the ReportServer and seems to do fine.
> at the end of the installation a couple of DOS windows pop-up
> the first one says
> "cannot connect to the database as the name of the server already
> exists or a duplicate go to system utilities and change the name....
> or something like that.
> But the Reports and ReportServer urls seems to do fine.
> Is this due to the fact that I have the SQL server and the RS running
> from the same physical machine ?
> Also would like to know what is the best way to setup the system. Like
> having the SQL server on a seperate machine or it doesnt really matter.
> Thanks
> Bofo
>|||Hi, Thanks very much for the info.
I was able to install it successfully when I had the SQL server running
locally.
But I need to make to work having the SQL server on a different
machine.
Here is my scenario.
1. SQL server 2000 is running on a Win2003 Server which is NOT in my
domain and I want my RS databases on this machine.
2. Reporting services, IIS will run on my machine which is also running
Win2003 Server
My options during installation are
Windows Authenication and
for the reportServer a Service account (default) option
At the end of the installation I get a message saying that Reporting
Services cannot be initalized
I try to access the localhost/Reports
and I get the following error message
=============The report server cannot open a connection to the report server
database. A connection to the database is required for all requests and
processing. (rsReportServerDatabaseUnavailable) Get Online Help Login
failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL
Server connection.
=============
I would like to know if the problem is due to the fact that the SQL
server is running outside my domain ?
Also I would appreciate what are the best options to choose for the
account types, I read diff docs and each give a different opinion. I am
very new to this type of environment and feeling stupid for not being
able to make this work.
Thanks
Bofo|||Sorry it took so long to get back to you. To answer your questions.
Is there a trust relation between the two domains? This will be need to
ensure that authenication will work.
I would recommend that you setup IIS and RS to run under the account of a
Domain User with local admin on the servers. Then have the user IIS and RS
service is running under be set as trusted for delegation as well as the
servers. If you still get the "Login failed for user '(null)' error then we
need to make sure that the kerberos ticket is being passed. If it is not
being passed then you will have to manually create SPN entries for these
users and servers to ensure that the kerberos ticket is passed and received.
I do not know of any problems with the way you have it designed. Remember,
the more comlex the install the harder it is to troubleshoot.
"Win2003InstallIssues" wrote:
> Hi, Thanks very much for the info.
> I was able to install it successfully when I had the SQL server running
> locally.
> But I need to make to work having the SQL server on a different
> machine.
> Here is my scenario.
> 1. SQL server 2000 is running on a Win2003 Server which is NOT in my
> domain and I want my RS databases on this machine.
> 2. Reporting services, IIS will run on my machine which is also running
> Win2003 Server
> My options during installation are
> Windows Authenication and
> for the reportServer a Service account (default) option
> At the end of the installation I get a message saying that Reporting
> Services cannot be initalized
> I try to access the localhost/Reports
> and I get the following error message
> =============> The report server cannot open a connection to the report server
> database. A connection to the database is required for all requests and
> processing. (rsReportServerDatabaseUnavailable) Get Online Help Login
> failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL
> Server connection.
> =============> I would like to know if the problem is due to the fact that the SQL
> server is running outside my domain ?
> Also I would appreciate what are the best options to choose for the
> account types, I read diff docs and each give a different opinion. I am
> very new to this type of environment and feeling stupid for not being
> able to make this work.
> Thanks
> Bofo
>|||Hey !
thanks for the all the info. I got it going. the problem was that i
created the domain after SQL server was installed and also my co-worker
was using Windows Auth Only. So the problem with trusted connection.
Changed the option to Windows and SQL accounts and created a sql acc
with admin permissions and viola !
but i am stuck with SQL query issues now (I have already posted my
problem under another thread)
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.sqlserver.reportingsvcs/browse_thread/thread/b0fb9b6091537e6f/1ac3d86d514559be
thanks
bofo

No comments:

Post a Comment